Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Uncle Tom

Ok so the spot that I'm interning at, has a lot of wealthy clientele, willing to pay large sums of money to allow us to make them stronger, faster, jump farther, whatever whatever. So as you'd guess (not to downplay my own people) not many black people come through, and the one's that do are often the children of professional athletes, or those who's families have relocated to better neighborhoods for their families (mmore power to em). But I digress, so this brotha comes through today, he's been coming here since before i started working, and all of the trainers know him. So I'm like cool, another brotha that made it and has the money to pay for this kinda thing, I'm all for it. Then he starts to talk, and if I didn't know better I'd swear he was from Wisconsin or Minnesota. Whatever, i brush it off like, he probably grew up in/or around a white community so I brush it off.
                       But then whenever he's doing a lift or a workout some of the coaches are clowning him, or just playing him in different ways. Mind you he doesn't have much rhythm, form, or general mechanics, but he can do the workouts. But then the clients start to get into it and what not, even the girls. Some even called him chocolate, or black lightning SMH. They never talk like that around me (then again a few of my white friends say I have the typical angry black man face lmao). But what makes it worse is that he's agreeing with them on the jokes and trying to get in their conversations and at one point they said "this is an A and B convo, blah blah" you know how it goes. And I'm like, come on man you can't let it go down like this.
                         And before ya'll get to thinkin stuff like i'm racist or I shouldn't think like that, know this, my best friend is Irish and my parents moved my family from a horrible neighborhood in the South Bronx into a decent neighborhood about 45mins away, so I know what da deal is. However i feel like he should've retained a little flavor or black mentality. Not the "I stay in the streets, ima hustler, forget these hoes" type thing, but a strong, intelligent black man's mindset and attitude you know. And i can relate to the man somewhat because I always had a love for skateboarding, extreme sports, and rock music even back when the thought was that a black kid shouldn't like those things. I dunno, I just kinda shaked my head at it. Maybe he coulda clowned them back or just been smoother with things. More power to the man tho cuz i don't wanna sound like a hater. If whatever he's doing is successful he should just keep at it

No comments:

Post a Comment